Hostul a fost schimbat. Daca vedeti serverul offline readaugati rpg.b-zone.ro sau 141.95.124.78:7777 in clientul de sa-mp ×

Vuelta a Espana 2017, stage six: Alberto Contador animates race before Chris Froome increases overall lead by 1sec

GF Edward

TELEMMGLPICT000138208975_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqhsC7iIX843hqYeewSbgQ0TlaTMTxUhlzF8Rkw038U-A.jpeg?imwidth=450

Alberto Contador put all of the overall contenders under huge pressure on Thursday on what Chris Froome described as “the hardest day of the Vuelta so far”.Tomasz Marczynski (Lotto-Soudal) won the 204.4km sixth stage from Vila-Real to Sagunt after escaping from the day’s 37-man breakaway.

But behind them Contador (Trek-Segafredo) – the 34-year-old three-time Vuelta a España champion who is taking part in his final professional race – put in a typically cavalier performance.

The Spaniard began the day over three minutes down on the overall players but attacked on the final second category climb, putting several general classification contenders in difficulty including Fabio Aru (Astana), Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida), Nicolas Roche (BMC Racing) and Esteban Chaves (Orica-Scott).

Froome (Team Sky) was one of only a handful of riders who managed to stay with Contador over the top of the climb, with that number reducing still further when Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing), Froome’s nearest challenger on general classification at 10 secs, collided with Carlos Betancur (Movistar) on the descent.

Roche, Aru, Nibali, Chaves and others eventually regained contact with Froome and Contador with around 25km to go, but van Garderen suffered a second fall and ended up shipping 20 seconds. Froome now leads the overall by 11secs from Chaves.

“It was the hardest day of the Vuelta so far,” the Team Sky rider said. “It didn't stop all day. Everyone saw the fireworks in the final. It was definitely the toughest stage we've done so far.

“Contador was very impressive  very, very impressive. I mean it's still a long race, and I'm sure he's going to be someone to keep animating the stages to come. Of course it’s not easy but I don’t have much option  I have to follow when Alberto goes. Even though he’s lost time he’s still a dangerous threat. He’s shown just how strong and tenacious he is and he’s going to keep fighting all the way to the end of this Vuelta, I’m sure.”

Contador questioned why he wasn’t given more support when he attacked. “There were teams there who stood to benefit,” he said, “who had two or three riders with their leader, and were in a position to distance other riders. Maybe further down the line they’ll have to take advantage of these opportunities. Days like this can often end up being more important even than the Angliru.”

Source: Click

Edited by South Edward

• Posty locked this topic