“Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” Singer B.J. Thomas Dead at 78

D J C

B.J.-Thomas-Press-Photo-2021-770x470.jpg

Late ‘60s and ‘70s pop singer B.J. Thomas has passed away in his home in Arlington, Texas at 78. He had been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer in March, according to Stereogum.

Thomas is survived by his wife Gloria, his daughters Paige Thomas, Erin Moore and Nora Cloud, and four grandchildren. The news of his death had been announced on his official Twitter page with the statement “It is with profound sadness we confirm the passing of BJ Thomas.”

He has won five Grammys and sold over 70 million records, but is best known for Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid’s “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head,” his first number 1 hit, and the original version of “Hooked On A Feeling.” Recordings of both can be found below.

Thomas has worked both solo and with others, having released music from a number of music genres including pop, country and even gospel. He had been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame and scored eight No. 1 hits and 26 Top 10 singles over the course of his 50+ year career. Other popular songs from the musician included “I Just Can’t Help Believing,” “Don’t Worry Baby,” “New Looks From An Old Lover,” “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” and “Whatever Happened To Old Fashioned Love.”  His single “(Hey Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song” with ABC Records is the longest titled No. 1 hit ever on Billboard’s Hot 100 to this day.

In-memoriam donations are currently being accepted by Mission Arlington, Tarrant Area Food Bank and the SPCA of Texas.

Source