The Nikon Z9 just got quite an autofocus upgrade

Shirogane

Chris Gampat The Phoblographer Nikon z9 review product images 2.81-80s800 5

Today, the Nikon Z9 is getting yet another upgrade and firmware update. The latest one brings with it something that changes one of our major praises to the system — bird autofocus. Now, the Z9 can do bird detection in both animal and bird autofocus detection modes. Similarly, it also now has a dedicated autofocus mode just for planes. From what we’re told by Nikon, birds will still be detected in animal mode — thankfully! This brings it in line more or less with what the Sony A1 does.

The big question then is whether or not this new autofocus upgrade will come to the Z8. We’re told by our Nikon reps in an NDA call that it’s coming to the Z8 next year.

So for the moment, one of the biggest reasons why you’d get the Nikon Z9 is the autofocus upgrade and the built-in vertical grip. Otherwise, you’d probably just go straight for the Nikon Z8. There’s no word on whether this feature is coming to the Nikon ZF either. Honestly, I’d be fine if it doesn’t come to the Nikon ZF — the one Nikon camera that I’m truly considering purchasing.

The reps were also clear on telling me that it’s not fully taking the bird detection out of the animal autofocus detection mode either. This is quite important. If you’re walking around a forest and trying to photograph birds but a great photo of a chipmunk comes around, then you’re going to take the shot regardless. And yes, you can use an autofocus point to ensure you get the shot, but what if there’s also a bird in the scene? There are lots of scenarios where I really like when bird and animal modes are together.

SOURCE