Andrew Garfield Reveals How Sony Reacted To Spider-Man: No Way Home Leaks

D J C

Andrew-Garfield-Spider-Man-No-Way-Home-L

Andrew Garfield reveals how Sony reacted to Spider-Man: No Way Home leaks. Tom Holland and Jon Watts' third MCU team-up was highly-anticipated. Aside from following up on Spider-Man: Far From Home's game-changing ending, fans were also intrigued by the persistent rumors that Sam Raimi and Marc Webb's respective Spider-Man movies would tie into its narrative.

Amidst countless, persistent rumors, Sony and Marvel Studios ran a controlled marketing campaign for Spider-Man: No Way Home in an effort to preserve the film's secrecy. Its first trailer didn't arrive until late-August 2021, followed by its second one dropping a couple of months later. As its premiere neared, the studios kept the hype up by rolling out a barrage of TV spots and posters, but while the involvement of villains such as Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin, Alfred Molina's Doc Ock, and Jamie Foxx's Electro were prominently used in the promos, Garfield and Tobey Maguire's appearances remained a secret. However, a string of marketing slips, capped off by leaked images and videos, convinced fans that the two previous Spider-Men would eventually show up.

Lo and behold, both Maguire and Garfield reprised their Marvel roles in Spider-Man: No Way Home, and now, Garfield is opening up about the experience. Speaking with TheWrap, the actor reveals how he reacted to seeing leaked images of the movie online. He says did freak out, but when he asked Sony, they told him that they wouldn't do anything about it and recommended he continued denying his involvement when asked. Read his full comment below:

I worked so hard to keep it secret that I was in Atlanta shooting. All these leaks were happening, and I was like, ‘Oh, my God, guys, what the hell is going on? I’m working so hard here to stay secret, and then here’s an image of me with Tobey!’ And they’re like, ‘No, no, we’re gonna keep it quiet.’ ‘OK, I’ll keep denying it.’ I was happy to do it, but it was a lot of work on everyone’s part. It obviously gave people a big thrill in the theater, and what more do you want from a theater experience than a thrill?

Alfred-Molina-and-Tom-Holland-in-Spider-

Among the string of leaks for Spider-Man: No Way Home were images of Garfield, Maguire, and Holland together, which is what the actor was referring to in the aforementioned interview. There was also a snap of Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock, the first sign of his Netflix Daredevil series being re-integrated with the MCU in Phase 4. When they first appeared online, they were unverifiable, as they're typically shared online using fake accounts. But now that the movie is out, most if not all of the leaks turned out to be genuine.

Producer Amy Pascal was asked about their spoiler issues for Spider-Man: No Way Home, and she emphasized that spoilers are ruining the moviegoing experience for many, and they don't want to dignify those who are illegally releasing information and other content for a film before its premiere. Meanwhile, Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige also spoke up about rumors and spoilers, warning fans to keep their expectations in check, as getting too invested in unofficial narrative details could lead to disappointment. In the end, however, the marketing team's will-they-won't-they tactic proved enormously successful in spite of any leaks, and audiences across the world have responded to No Way Home with great enthusiasm.

Source