Shazam 2 Is Funnier & More Action-Packed Than First Movie, Says Producer

D J C

Shazam-2-Producer-Sequel-Zachary-Levi.jp

Shazam! Fury of the Gods producer Peter Safran says the movie is funnier and more action-packed than the original. The upcoming DCEU project is a direct sequel to 2019's Shazam!, with director David F. Sandberg and star Zachary Levi both returning. Shazam! Fury of the Gods is currently scheduled for theatrical release on June 2, 2023.

The first film established the backstory of teenager Billy Batson (Asher Angel), who gains the ability to transform into the superhero Shazam (Levi) by shouting his alter-ego's name, which is actually that of the wizard who named Billy his champion (Djimon Hounsou). By the climax, Billy's foster siblings had also been granted superhero forms, with each gaining one of Shazam's many powers, and they all collaborate to defeat the film's villains. Despite Sandberg having previously been known as a horror director, Shazam! earned praise from critics and audiences for its playful comedic timing, standing out as a bright spot in a DCEU lineup that had enjoyed only mixed success up to that point.

Now, with a sequel on the way, Safran takes a break from promoting Peacemaker to share his thoughts on Shazam! Fury of the Gods with Collider. After listing what he loved about the first movie, the producer praises this next installment for going bigger with each of them. He also singles out some of the new, high-profile cast members as reasons for excitement, and notes that the central kids being older means Sandberg & Co. can take more comedic risks:

...I loved the first Shazam movie. I thought it was beautifully done. I thought that David Sandberg nailed that tone so incredibly well. The eye of the needle was so small to get it right, but he really did nail it. I feel like this second one has more emotion, more humor, but it also has bigger action, bigger set pieces, some great villains. I just feel like it's everything that we loved in the first movie but really turned up to 11. So I love it. I think the addition of some of these new characters with Rachel Zegler and Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu are fantastic additions. I love that the kids are all a little bit older now so we get to have a little bit more fun in kind of an edgier fashion with them. Zach inhabits that character in such a beautiful fashion. So to have been able to make a second one of those, it's a thrill.

helen-mirren-shazam

helen-mirren-shazam.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=

While relatively little is known about the story of Shazam! Fury of the Gods, acclaimed actors Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu are confirmed to be playing Hespera and Kalypso, respectively, two daughters of the titan Atlas that will serve as villains. Though West Side Story breakout star Rachel Zegler's character has yet to be named, she has revealed she'll be playing another sister of the two goddesses, adding intrigue to her brief clip from DC Fandome speaking to Billy's foster-brother Freddy (Jack Dylan Grazer). That same event confirmed the franchise will be taking a step up in terms of locations, at some point journeying all the way to the realm of the gods.

Fans of the first Shazam! will surely be glad to see one of the sequel's producers so confident. On top of the returning elements that already worked, the additions of established actors like Mirren and Liu and rising talents like Zegler should have potential viewers eager to get their next look at Shazam! Fury of the Gods. They should expect to wait some time, however, as the film has plenty ahead of it on a crowded DC release calendar that should get more attention from Warner Bros. marketing department.

Source

Edited by D J C