[TUTORIAL] : How to play SA:MP - B-Zone on a MacBook / Apple iMac

cowS

Hello everyone. Quick tutorial here just to somewhat place this information in a concise manner for someone who may find this useful to access for the future (including myself).

So the principal is straight forward but we need to understand a few things. MacBook's cannot physically run SA:MP by itself because the SA:MP program is actually only an .exe file, which can only be run by windows. Therefore, this tutorial will show you how to bypass such a problem and this is proven to work because I am currently playing on my student MacBook Air (2015) model. This might be useful because the specs on Apple computers and laptops are generally pretty fast and can run this game amazingly, hence why I would like to share this information to help others.

You will need:

1) Good Internet connection

2) An Apple iMac or MacBook

3) Legal copy of GTA San Andreas such as Steam // or from a third party source*

4) Crossover (program): https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover-windows-on-mac?gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKt1LR3J7cO_NOPpGE_AiNWXFGXdb4kO-PgS9H1YR5XLHCywb9EtcOsxoCrLYQAvD_BwE

5) Version 1.0 US downgrade program, this one WORKS: http://www.gamemodding.net/en/gta-san-andreas/gta-sa-mods/45488-gta_saexe-10-us.html

6) SA:MP: https://www.sa-mp.com/download.php

7) Patience

Step 1: BACKUP your GTA SA files. You really don't want to mess up the original otherwise you'll need to re-download the whole thing. I copied and pasted mine from the Steamapps folder and then pasted the copied version to somewhere accessible like the Desktop.

Step 2: Download the two files I provided above. You'll need them.

Premise for Step 3:

What we are basically going to do now is first launch the program required to run windows programs. Download 'Crossover' from the link above. This is a paid service so you will need to download the free trial for 14 days. I purchased the full version for mine, it costed me £38 which is a bit pricey but it will pay off, as it's a one time payment. However, you could theoretically re-create free trials for yourself if you wanted to loophole the system. It's your decision how you do it.

Step 3: Download and install Crossover. Leave that to the side once that's done.

Step 4: Now, as you would on a normal Windows laptop, download SA:MP first. Once you have the file (it can't be run by Apple OS), right click the SA:MP client installer.exe and press "open with" --> Crossover. On crossover: Press 'unlisted application / choose one from the menu, doesn't make a difference' and then press install. It'll do its thing and then open the SA:MP installer on its own PC wizard format. Here, you can install SA:MP. Choose Users -> (your user's name, mine was Admin) --> Desktop --> My Mac Desktop --> (find your GTA folder). Once that's done, you can install SA:MP like usual. Done? Nice.

Premise for Step 5:

Another issue is with the bloody Steam version of SA:MP you're not going to be able to run it because it's updated past Version 1. Luckily, your solution is here too. Download the file from the game modding website. 

Step 5: As mentioned, once downloaded ^, you can then launch this program with the Crossover application because it's a windows file too. It'll open and then you can find your language, destination of SA:MP's location and choose to install those security programs (i unchecked those boxes). Once it's done, your GTA SA will be downgraded and able to run SA:MP.

Finally, Step 6: Launch SA:MP via Crossover and then make sure your GTA SA directory is correct. If it is, you're good to go! Launch the beautiful Green button for rpg.b-zone.ro:7777 or whichever server for B-Zone you will play and bobs your uncle, you've got it.

Thanks for reading. I hope this is useful for someone out there!

- cowS

28 minutes ago, cedryk yrn said:

You can also add mods on Mac or it's not possible?

@cowS

Probably. The Crossover program enables windows capability so as long as a windows PC can run these mods I think they can be transferrable to the Mac.

I personally wouldn't recommend it though, because, it's pretty fragile as it is trying to get it all to work. 

• cowS pinned this topic

Thank you.

Thank you but it would be better if you were playing video :)

RPG1

Name:Urkelbama Faction:LV Taxi Rank:Taxi Rookie(2)

RPG4

Name:[uS]Urkelbama Faction:Southern Pimps Rank:Street Fish(1)

Faction History:

sa-mp-038.png

sa-mp-058.png

sa-mp-026.png

2 hours ago, Urkelbama said:

Thank you but it would be better if you were playing video :)

RPG1

Name:Urkelbama Faction:LV Taxi Rank:Taxi Rookie(2)

RPG4

Name:[uS]Urkelbama Faction:Southern Pimps Rank:Street Fish(1)

Faction History:

ye it  will be amazing hope so that works

Archived